Followers

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Employing foreign workers... 


What we miss about foreigners is not in our worldview because we rarely associate with them and when we do, we get a faux impression of them. We only see what they want to show us.

I don't see anything wrong with employing foreign medical professionals from an economic, social, or cultural position. If an American is a rarity in these highly intellectual jobs, than for those Americans who do qualify, they will be in high demand.

We are taking the best from other countries. If you think that these foreigners are somehow here to undermine the status quo of society and redistribute wealth and power, you are wrong The upper classes of India, China, the Middle East, and Latin America understand privilege and embrace it.


After working for years in Migrant Education and advocating for Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, I discovered soon that the Hispanic professionals hired by IUs and school districts because they were "bilingual and bicultural" did not have the same feeling of empathy and benevolence for their own people as I did. My empathy for them was not superficial but rather embedded, based upon my experience dealing with my mother's illiteracy. I understood how speaking and reading, that is, language, was empowering and how the lack of it kept people on the margins.


Puerto Ricans from the upper class and especially those educators from Chile, Argentina, and even Mexico had as much contempt for mushroom pickers as those I would label as racist Americans. The workers of whom I taught and their children, were neither literate in Spanish or in English, hence, oppressed and disenfranchised in both cultures.


Hispanics may not see color the same as Americans but worse yet they see class. Class is an impediment to achievement and doesn't fit well into a Capitalist System. Those crossing our southern border aren't escaping political oppression or gang violence. They're accustomed to that. They're escaping the fatalism inherent in Hispanic Culture.

No comments: