Followers

Monday, April 20, 2020

Ode to an Old Nurseryman




Tyambee Nursery and Landscaping. Family owned business 1959-2003. Loading up the flatbed to deliver Hemlock. Tying them in to prevent wind damage while transporting. Lionel Beck, my father, and the best dog I ever had, Barney, a stray. (May, 1985)



Ode to an Old Nurseryman

Last night the moon spoke aloud
alone I stood in fields unplowed
pocked where once I shocked roots
and bound their wounds
with burlap hide,
butterfly baskets, and two-ply rope.
In and out of cloud it drifted.
The light lit my heart uplifted
when in my days of youth
I struck the earth
with a straight edge spade
and trenched a girth from hardpan dirt.
The sycamore, the serotina
the kurumatzu and pinus strobus;
shadows across the greening glade
where I put foot to shovel blade.
There I planted rows of bareroot timber
no rounder than a thumb or finger
homaged them as if fostered children
arising from a budding slumber.
Watched them grow until they reached a height
then transplanted them to a different site. 
Oh, how worthy a trade it was
seedling the earth and moving conifers.
Of all the things due my regret,
not that I lost my labor spent
such worthy toil is heaven sent.
Of all the things due my regret,
I can't father the field I left
and to my children beget
the calloused hand and respect for sweat
earned by working the shovel bent.

No comments: