Followers

Sunday, March 29, 2020

NUMB


Numb

1
I seek the numbness of an absent will
a conquest of soul that empties and stills
I seek the comfort of a warm blanket against a chill
a rain that sweeps the avenue clean
a rain that awakens me from a pleasant dream
a dwelling reduced to my own name
where myself and wife become one the same
a place where geography and anatomy
create my esteem and autonomy

2
I seek the things of the holy race
absolved of color and construct trace
some other things that capture my fancy
things of the heart but not to envy...
fog in the morning and feeding birds
children waiting on the corner
for their school-bus to turn
reconciliation with a long ago foe
time and conversation with a friend I know
a spontaneous meeting in a grocery store
of someone from my past who left open a door
a bookmarked page that I read slow
fresh cut grass between my toes
a foggy morning then afternoon snow
a yellow rose on a gray marble stone
comfort for those who mourn alone
the openness atop a sunlit hill
the smell of cedar from a chest of drawers
reminding me of a day I lost a toy
a tub of warm water and a cotton cloth
a spring in summer where I might wash
my cuddled grandchild and her sleepy hug
the nothingness and calm of solitude
where no look can bracket my being
where all past failures just memories sleeping

3
The winter wind cures
the woolen texture of my scarf
as I turn my cheek to protect myself
prompting me to try to prove
before my toes and fingers froze
the value of holy imagination
that takes me beyond my situation
experience becomes out of focus
knowledge simply comic book fiction
they are veils, shrouds, and curtains
preventing communal observation
no one speaks if I don't hear
the greater the distance, the more we fear
as we tire over time from the faults we bear
never confessing the weight to proud to share

Repose
Where's mother? Is she home?
Shall I spend two minutes on the telephone?
Or stop to raid her pantry boxes?
I can't reach her... yet she's so near
for I am who my mother was
even though she lived by my father's cause
she a daughter of the pariah guild
her mother and father by union soiled
one by Calvin and one by Peter
one as water and one as oil
and did they know?
that love alone is not enough
unless it takes us beyond ourselves
I simply was an accessory
misplaced while in a hurry
my share of love, their comisery

4
water, mirrors, steps and stairs
these a child finds so curious
so unforgiving when I entered there
but what a pleasure to tempt or dare
until voices rose and I was scared
the bloody noses, the cuts and bruises
There will always be thorns
amongst the roses
they still haunt me in my sleep
the grassy field, the poplar trees
the hedgerow with its prickly weeds
my soul, I bent and straightened
only the leaves and I in conversation

5
I notice on my morning walk
as my body connects earth to sky
I become a broker of the eternal why
my soul overheats, I open the scarf
the hair on my arm lifts, I rub a spot
my heart misses a beat
I take a breath, secure my feet
pray I have not disturbed the peace
the scent of wet pine and spruce
drifts across the step I took
the sun's caress on my cheek
the cramp in the muscle of my leg
these are moments that memory erases
and why we miss God in so many places
I wonder if He's burdened by my pace
I trail behind so many in the salvation race

6
I bracket, enclose, capture motion
patch all the images together
as if mending an opening seam
that although to the wind was open
so well hidden it was unseen
by me but not by others
yes, I felt the breeze, there's no denying
that all those who came to care for me
so blind they were they refused to see
for fear in them to admit to we
for fear in me to simply be
that may be the greatest sin
to feign one's love as charity

7
I set aside all the metaphorical
all interpretation, all the satirical
all the critical literature
all that taxed my Being
my soul, my reasoning
all that was once so literal
for being so utterly, petty particular...
I set it all aside
I cup my hands over my eyes
and try my very, very best not to cry
And even though tears are a gift from God
I wonder when... and when it will...
when the well will ever dry?

No comments: